Ian here with the Mindful Revolution offering you sweet pillow talk about dreamland where we spend about one third of every day of our lives…
But first, why am I even talking about sleep when it’s something our bodies do naturally?
Actually, the truth is that sleep is not something that just happens… unless you are a teenager! Even babies need to learn to fall asleep and sleep well.
What’s important about getting good sleep?
Good sleep is vital for good health. Sleep deprivation can lead to a multitude of health issues:
- It escalates the hunger hormone called ghrelin, which increases food cravings
- It escalates the stress hormone called cortisol, which can cause weight gain, diabetes, heart attacks, high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis and depressed immunity
- It causes elevated blood pressure in people with hypertension, which can lead to cardiovascular disease and stroke
Learning how to improve your sleep is not just a luxury—it’s a necessity!
How do I get better sleep?
Follow these 7 tips and rest assured (excuse the pun) that you will feel more rejuvenated and energized than you even knew was possible:
- Practice regular sleep rhythms by going to bed and waking up around the same time each day.
- Create total quiet and darkness in your bedroom.
- Avoid caffeine or reduce your intake after noon as it affects your sleep dramatically.
- Get regular exposure to daylight for at least 20 minutes a day because the sunlight triggers your brain to release melatonin, which is vital for healthy sleep.
- Eat no later than two hours before you go to bed because eating a heavy meal before bedtime will impede your body’s natural overnight detoxification process.
- Write down your worried thoughts before bedtime so you can free your mind and drop into a deep and restful sleep.
- Take a hot salt or aromatherapy bath because raising your body temperature before bed helps to induce sleep.
What do I do now?
In my life coaching practice, I help my clients implement these 7 tips and more so they can make the most of their sleep—and their health.
Click here now to schedule a time to talk with me today if you need the support and accountability to help you follow through like never before!
To your health!